Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20 is the New Christmas Morning.

8am.
Last night I went to bed with a little shiver in my soul. As I thought about the significance of what today would bring, of how proud and excited I am for our country and for what President Obama will do to unify us as a people on behalf of the greater good, and for what electing an African-American president means historically for our country as a whole.

This morning as I listen to it all on the radio and I consider all the advances President Obama has already been making to discuss policy with both Republicans and Democrats, those who support and who disagree with his perspective and even consulting John McCain and President Bush in regards to the economic crisis and war.

10am.
Begin again the work.

President Obama's inauguration speech will, undoubtably, be known as the catalyst for our CNN reports to turn from news into poetry. Even as excerpts of his speech are analyzed, the quoting of sentances within his speech are lyrical and loaded with meaning. What I look forward to most is the unification and collaboration of both parties. To have a leader whose process for change is based on asssessing both pros and cons, both Democrats and Republicans, both advocates and critics with the goal of inclusion, understanding and resolutions that will improve our nation and the world, is truly one of the most inspiring moments of our history. The way Obama directly addresses his cynics in the ways of the economy, war, healthcare and energy with an outstretched arm and open hands to suggest working together rather than having our own sides and our opposite fights is exactly the way I have, as an American, always wanted our contry to be represented. As for addressing our enemies at war, to offer a hand of peace rather than a threat of opposing violence by advising the wisdom of peace with the United States, rather than competing with a force that is more than immovable, but unstoppable. Additionally, his gentle acknowledgement of the historic nature of having an African-American in the White House when his own father "might not have been served a meal" in the same country merely 60 years ago, to have him take "the most sacred of oaths," on behalf of the United States stirs my soul and brings tears to my eyes.

Truly. Change has come.

1 comment:

Tamara Atkin said...

I feel a desire to share my opinion, but it differs so strongly from yours that I feel a need to be careful.

It has taken all of my inner power to stop myself from making a rude yet hilarious comment about Obama here. But I care for you too much to behave so disrespectfully to you.

I'm a minority, you're a minority- it's great news that it has been proven that our nation has risen above race as an obstacle to one's potential success. That's the most positive thing I can say aobut it.